Lipsticks never fail to add color and life to a naked face. Wearing lipstick alone can do wonders for you, especially when you’re in a rush and have no time to apply makeup for a full face. Just a couple of swipes of any of your favorite lipstick colors can instantly make you look fresh and fabulous.
Some lipstick colors an make you look really gorgeous while some aren’t just very flattering. There are quite a number of things you can keep in mind if you want to be able to choose the right lipstick every time. Here’s something to make lipstick shopping easier for you:
- Reds and pinks are universal – no matter what skin tone you have, if you want something that you can wear anytime, get at least one red or pink lipstick. Red and pink lipsticks look good on almost all skin types and go well with most makeup looks and outfits so they’re always a good choice if you’ve just started experimenting with lipstick colors.
- Going deeper – if you want a darker lip without looking like you’re going for a gothic vibe, make sure to choose a lipstick color that is only two shades deeper than your natural lip color. Anything darker than that may appear too costume-y.
- Keeping it real – don’t go for shades that are too far from your natural lip color, be it darker or lighter, if you want to keep your makeup looking as natural as possible, especially if it’s just everyday casual makeup.
- Day and night makeup – it’s very easy to do a transition of day to night makeup. All you have to do is start with light and natural makeup for daytime and pack on more colors for the night by using darker shadows, adding layers of mascara, retouching the lips, and perhaps adding a little shimmer and shine.
- Create balance between the lips and the eyes – if you’re wearing a full face with bold emphasis on the eyes (e.g. smokey eyes, bold eye makeup colors, thick layers of mascara or fierce falsies), wear a lipstick that’s light and natural. You can choose from a range of nudes and light reds or pinks and some coral colors. On the other hand, if you are wearing a bare face or very light makeup, you can bring the attention to your lips by wearing bright and bold colors.