Isn’t it ironic how, when you have a big event coming up in the morning where you need to look your best you get so worked up and excited about it the night before and then have a hard time falling asleep. It’s a typical situation that I’m sure most of you have gone through at least once or twice, be it for a date, a meeting with the big shots at work or any other important events that you have to get to. And, as if showing up to these events with so little energy left isn’t enough, people also like pointing out the obvious, mindlessly blurting out ‘you look tired’ or ‘you look like you could use a nap’. See how you can fake a full night’s sleep with our tips on how to look beautiful after a sleepless night below.
- Wash your face with cold water – if you didn’t get your full 8 hours of sleep last night and you need to look fresh and awake, just splash cold water on to your face. The cold, tingling sensation you get will wake up your senses and at the same time will constrict blood vessels giving you a smoother and a more toned appearance.
- Moisturize – not getting enough sleep at night can lead to dry and flaky skin in the morning. Make sure you don’t get that tell-tale sign by moisturizing after you have washed your face. Applying moisturizer on to your face after giving it a refreshing wash helps seal moisture in on your skin thus preventing it from being dry and flaky throughout the day. Use moisturizer on damp skin for easier absorption and optimal results.
- De-puff your eyes – another tell-tale sign that you didn’t get enough sleep is having puffy eyes in the morning. If you find yourself with big, bulging puffy eyes in the morning after a sleepless night, make sure to de-puff before you apply makeup on. Apply something cold on your eyes like cold teabags, cold spoons or cucumber slices to reduce the swelling or use anti-puff solutions to get rid of them.
- Open up your eyes – one way to look like you’ve had a full night’s sleep in the morning though you really didn’t is to have eyes that look awake and wide-open. To open up your peepers, curl your eyelashes and make sure you don’t skip on your mascara. Apply a coat or two on your lower lashes as well. Also, use a pearly white eyeliner on the inner corner of your eyes to help brighten them up.
- Bring in the color – if you lack sleep, chances are that your skin will look dull and sallow. Brighten it up and give it a quick pick me up simply by adding color to your lips and cheeks. If you’re confident enough to rock a bright and bold lip, go right ahead and do it. Aside from making you look more livelier, it will also take the focus away from your tired eyes. Quick reminder: bright, bold lips call for simple and natural eye makeup and dramatic eyes call for nude and natural lip colors.