Summer is one of the most fun seasons. It’s always filled with good times and great fun with family and friends as well as road trips, beach days, picnics and more. If there’s one thing I know a lot of you don’t really like about summer, it’s breaking out. The change in weather is such a huge factor for breaking out, especially for women who have acne-prone skin. All that sweating can really clog your pores and the dirt and whatnot your face gets doesn’t help either. If you have acne prone skin and don’t want to stress about breakouts this summer, check out these summer skin care tips to keep acne at bay.
- Skip makeup – because summer days are so hot, the best look to go for is a natural look. No makeup, no nothing – just you bare and naked skin. This is the best time to give your skin a break from all the makeup products you usually use so it can breathe and just relax. Quick tip: if you decide to go bare-faced this summer, at least do your brows to pull everything together and get a polished look.
- Go light – if makeup is a must in your daily routine, though, then you can opt for just going light instead. Wear as little makeup as you can and switch some products from your usual routine for more lightweight and breathable subs. Foundation, for example, can be substituted with tinted moisturizer or CC cream and your usual setting spray can be substitute with loose setting powder.
- Avoid oil-based products – oil is heavy and it clogs your skin, therefore trapping dirt and all the gunk in. If you’re trying out new products this summer or if you’re switching some up, try to get your hands on products that have the words ‘non-comedogenic’ on the label. This means the product is oil-free and won’t clog your pores so your skin can still breathe with it on top. Some of the best brands that offer oil-free products that are great for summer include Almay, Clinique, Lola Cosmetics and Physicians formula.
- Deep clean – another really important thing to do to your skin this summer is to deep clean it. Depending on how sensitive your skin is, deep cleaning should be done 2 to 3 times a week. Switch up and upgrade your regular cleanser to one with acne-fighting ingredient like salicylic acid to prevent breakouts even before they happen. Using a deep cleansing tool / system like a Clarisonic can help greatly, too.
- Fight the first signs – like they always say “prevention is better than cure”. Benzoyl peroxide is one of the most effective solutions when it comes to preventing acne and breakouts. Use a thin layer of it on areas where you feel a pimple coming on to prevent it. You can also be more pro-active by using a thin layer of it on areas where you always tend to break out.
- Freshen up throughout the day – to keep sweat, oil and dirt off of your face all day long, make sure you have baby wipes or towelettes on hand all the time to wipe your face with. You can make this even more refreshing by spritzing some mist on. This will also help keep your skin moisturized.