Nobody wants saggy skin but unfortunately everyone is prone to it. Saggy skin can be caused by a number of reasons but the most common ones are weight loss and ageing and nobody wants to age or look older. For this reason, knowing how to prevent saggy skin is very important. If you want to know how you can keep your skin looking young and fresh, check out our tips for preventing saggy skin below. These tips are easy to follow and they require very little changes in your lifestyle or routine so if you really want to keep yourself from getting saggy skin, make the effort to do these.
- Do toning workout routines or exercises – the first thing you should know about preventing saggy skin is that the best way to actually avoid it is to keep your skin toned as much as possible. You can do this by doing toning exercises regularly. Toning exercises keep your muscles firm so your skin can be tight and toned. In case you don’t have the time to squeeze in a routine, doing more of regular stuff like walking, jogging and strength training with weights can help prevent saggy skin, too.
- Avoid drastic weight loss and gain – gaining and losing weight too quickly and frequently (also called the weight loss and gain yoyo) is another major cause of saggy skin. When your skin rapidly expands then shrinks then expands and shrinks again, it tends to lose its elasticity. This is how you get saggy skin. To prevent this, make sure you don’t take any supplements or do crash diets that would make your lose or gain weight very quickly. When trying to lose or gain weight, always do it gradually and accompany it with exercise so that you don’t get saggy skin in the end.
- Choose a lotion that has skin firming properties – lotion is something you slather on your skin everyday anyway so why not make the most out of it and get one that not only moisturizes your skin but keeps it firm as well? Some of the brands that make such good lotions include Nivea, Jergens and Olay. These are very inexpensive brands but they work pretty well and have been raved about by many. Of course, you still have to try them out for yourself and see whether they work for you or not so you can switch in case you’re not getting the results you want.
- Protect your skin with sunscreen – as mentioned earlier, one of the most common causes of saggy skin is ageing and constant exposure to the sun can really make your skin age faster than you would like. To avoid this, always use sunscreen before you leave the house, even when the sun isn’t blaring down on you. If you spend time in your vehicle travelling, get a good broad spectrum sun screen that can protect you from the sun’s harmful UV rays that speeds up the process of skin ageing and causes saggy skin.
- Avoid rubbing your face with your hands – one common mistake a lot of women make when applying makeup is using their hands to apply the products on their face. Doing this puts a lot of pressure on the skin and causes it to lose elasticity so you tend to end up with saggy skin after a while. Instead of using your hands, use a makeup brush or sponge to apply products like foundation on your face. These apply less pressure on your skin so it stays firm for longer.