A clean house is a great place to come home to. Different areas and surfaces call for different kinds of cleaning products which is why a complete arsenal of cleaning solutions is important if you want to keep a clean house. There are lots of different commercial cleaning solutions that indeed get the job done but if you’re someone who’s trying to help preserve our lovely Mother Earth, you may not be pleased with all the chemicals you’ll find in these cleaning solutions. If you’re looking for more eco-friendly alternatives, check out our list of DIY cleaning solutions for a cleaner and greener home below.
- Grout cleaner – when grout gets dirty, it makes the whole bathroom look unsanitary, even when it is. To get rid of the dirt on grout naturally, just combine equal parts of water and vinegar with baking soda to make a paste then, dip your cleaning brush in the solution and scrub away! We recommend covering everything in the paste mixture and then start scrubbing with the less dirty part until you reach the dirtiest area. This way, the solution will have more time to work on dirtier areas before it is scrubbed off.
- Wood polish – having wooden furniture in your home can really make it look homey but maintaining wood furniture can be tricky. You have to make sure to polish everything regularly so that they don’t look dusty and dull. For a natural wood polish, grab an airtight container and pour lemon juice (from 1 whole lemon), 1 tbsp olive oil and 1 tbsp water into it then shut the container and shake until mixture has emulsified. Pour a little bit on to a microfiber cloth and start polishing your wood furniture with it to give it that shine.
- Grease remover – grease is the enemy we battle with everyday on our kitchen counters, cabinets, and stove tops. No matter how careful you are when you cook, grease always seems to get splattered everywhere. To remove grease from your kitchen naturally, simply spray vinegar on to the greasy surface, let sit for a few minutes and then wipe. If it doesn’t come off, you can also try sprinkling baking soda on the surface and then wiping it off with a damp sponge.
- Carpet stain cleaner – a dirty carpet is the biggest culprit for allergies and asthma attacks. But aside from that, it makes your whole house look dirty, especially when you have several stains on it. To remove stains on your carpet the natural way, mix 1/4 cup salt, 1/4 cup borax and 1/4 cup vinegar into a paste and then apply on the soiled areas on your carpet. Let it sit for a few couple of minutes and vacuum the stains away.
- All natural air freshener – air fresheners leave your room smelling great but they contain harmful chemicals that pose health risks when inhaled regularly. To get your home smelling fresh minus the chemical, just mix water and essential oils in a spray bottle and spray around the home anytime you want.