They say a smile is the best makeup any girl can wear and having shiny, pearly whites to go along with that gorgeous beam is something that we would all be glad to have. There are a lot of ways to whiten your teeth, including regular trips to the dentist’s office for a teeth whitening treatment. However, there are also lots of other things that you can do yourself at home to get white teeth. These methods work effectively but they cost you less. The results may not come as quickly, though, but if you’re patient enough, these methods are sure to whiten your teeth and save you cash. Check out these easy DIY ways to whiten your teeth.
- Baking soda and water – this is a method that a lot of people swear by. Mix half a teaspoon of baking soda with half a teaspoon of warm water and mix until the baking soda is completely dissolved then dip your toothbrush into the solution and brush your teeth. Spit and rinse and brush your teeth with toothpaste like you would regularly after.
- Strawberry and baking soda paste – here’s another teeth whitening solution using baking soda: take one ripe strawberry, mash it and add half a teaspoon of baking soda then mix until it gets to a paste-like consistency. Apply the mixture to your teeth using a toothbrush and let it sit on your teeth for 5 minutes before rinsing with warm water. After rinsing, brush your teeth with toothpaste.
- Eat foods that help whiten teeth and prevent stains – one of the easiest ways to get naturally whiter teeth is to include foods in your diet that help whiten your teeth. These include celeries, carrots, pineapples and salmon. Foods like these act as a natural exfoliant, brushing your teeth and ridding them of stains while you chew on them. There are also foods that you can eat to prevent stains such as leafy greens, lettuce and broccoli. These create a film that covers the teeth and creates a barrier between stain and your teeth.
- Avoid the cause of stains – some of the biggest culprits when it comes to yellowish teeth include coffee, tea, and wine. These are things that most of us consume on a regular basis. Try to avoid them whenever you can and if you must drink them, drink out of a straw so that the stain molecules don’t come in direct and full contact with your teeth. Also, clean your teeth more thoroughly after consuming food that can stain teeth.
- Banana peel rub – we all know how bananas are super useful when it comes to a lot of things including beauty but did you know that aside from the fruit itself, the banana peel can also do wonders? Rubbing the inside of a banana peel on an insect or mosquito bite can help reduce the itchiness and inflammation but you can also rub the inside of a banana peel on your teeth to help whiten them. Do this for 2 minutes for optimal results.
These DIY ways to whiten your teeth are safe for everyday use. Because they’re virtually free of chemicals and abrasives, the effects may not come as quickly as it would if you used chemicals.