Stripes are perhaps one of the prints that not a lot of women are bold enough to wear unless they’ve mastered the art of it. Many women still think that stripes only make you look bigger though that myth has already been debunked. When worn the right way, stripes can actually be very flattering for almost all body types / shapes. Of course, you’d have to be careful in planning any outfit that involves the stripe print if you want to get the most out of it. Here are 5 chic ways to wear stripes.
- Black and white – the easiest, most classic way to wear stripes is to go for the black and white option. This is a great way to wear stripes if you’re looking for something edgy and bold to make a statement with. However, you’ll want to be careful not to end up looking like an inmate when wearing black and white stripes. To avoid this, you can wear thick black and white stripes and you can wear them in different textures: sequined, glitter, fur, lace – these are just some of the ways to wear black and white stripes and still look chic.
- Horizontal – this is perhaps the most avoided, most unwanted kind of stripes there is, simply because it’s the one that tends to make you look fatter and wider. If you wear thick horizontal stripes, though, you can actually look thinner and more slender. The key to looking good with horizontal stripes all lies in proportions. The taller / bigger you are, the wider your horizontal stripes should be. Horizontal stripes on a dress can really make you look a slimmer when worn correctly.
- Stripes and neutrals – the safest, most fool-proof way to wear stripes of any color, style of design is to anchor it down to neutrals. This will tone down the boldness of the stripes, making it wearable and more pleasing and easy on the eyes. Of course, you’ll want to choose a neutral color that’s either complementary or cohesive to the color of the stripes you’re wearing.
- Vertical– for petite women who want to dress up and look taller and longer, vertical stripes are definitely a must. Vertical stripes can create the illusion of height so wearing them, especially on your pants / leggings will definitely have you looking a few inches taller than you really are. To get the most out of the lengthening illusion from vertical stripes, wear high heels and sport an updo. These are all great ways to add a few inches to your height.
- Stripes and other prints – if you’re more adventurous with your outfit and like to try different trends all the time, you should definitely give the print on print trend a shot. Basically, what you do is take a print / pattern style like stripes and mix it with other print / pattern styles. Some of the best prints that look great with stripes are polka dots, floral prints and animal prints. You can also try mixing other print / pattern styles, just remember that an outfit this bold may not be appropriate for school or for the work place so reserve them for casual days out instead.