With all the nostalgia for the 70s hitting on the runways this year, it’s no surprise to find suede as one of the top trends for spring and summer. For years, this soft and delicate animal hide material has received less love than its cousin, leather. Now, fashion mavens have incorporated it with both their modern and 70s-inspired designs.
Whether it’s faux or authentic suede that you have in mind, I give you these useful tips on how to wear suede clothes fabulously.
- Don’t be afraid to try out two or more trends in one attire. The great thing about suede is that it goes so well for the colder seasons as it does with the warmer ones. Just make sure that you’re incorporating them nicely.
This girl is strutting out in a suede skirt with fringed hemline and a chic pair of low-heel sandals with thick straps. Talk about summer, right?
This girl looks homey and casual with her fitted cotton sleeves and denim overalls but that black suede loafers gives the outfit the chicness it needs.
- Give your loose and slouchy spring ensemble a structured balancing item through suede. This haute hide material is usually part-stiff and part-flowy. The perfect material that will balance out the ensemble.
The running shoes, loose pants and sweater. Who are we kidding? This is an attire that screams “I obviously came from my house”. But put a suede coat over your shoulders and it says, “I don’t have time to change but have enough time to slip on something presentable and chic”.
The same goes for this gal below with the black suede boots.
- You can have the best spring work outfit with suede. Pairing it with a close-buttoned collared shirt gives you a refreshing look the moment you strode in the office aisles.
I like how she kept it all simple, from the strappy heels to the chained purse, and let the color-blocked dusky grey skirt with the blue front pocket do the talking.
What’s the wonderful advantage to this combination? Slip on a statement necklace underneath the collars like this lady here and a pair of eccentric sunglasses. Now, you’re ready for a lunch date or hanging out during Friday nights with your lady friends or your beau. No more wardrobe change necessary, folks!
- During spring and summer, keep it simple and try on a suede dress or matching separates.And doesn’t it look feminine all by itself?
This girl kept it all neutral and simple with earthy-toned accessories to match with her suede dress.
This chick goes a little modern with a matching separates with a structured silhouette and a sling purse.
- Snap front skirts are coming back, people! And what’s a better pair for snap front skirts than that which is made of suede, right? For this, you have the option to pair it with a button shirt or a neutral fitting one. Either way would look absolutely great on anyone.
This outfit looks totally chic with the sleeves of the top pulled up to the elbows and the black leather belt, a horizontal balance among the vertical directions of the top and the skirt.
- Because suede is such a tactile material, it looks best when you pair it up with visually textured materials such as silk and fur. These textiles complements to the suede.
There’s definitely a lot going on in this outfit. What with the silky top, tan suede snap front skirt, and faux fur blazer. But this girl did the right decision of having everything, sans the skirt, black. This way, the suede skirt pops and stands out the most.
- Keep it unexpected. When you think of suede, the first thing that comes up to your mind is a shade of brown. Make your look unpredictable with colored suede.
These two outfits are definitely going for the opposite goals.The one above kept her top and bottom brightly but matched while her accessories were in neutral earthy tones. As a result, the pair of bright blue suede loafers stands out perfectly in a definitely bright ensemble.
Meanwhile, Jessica Alba is going for a more subtle and quieter attire by matching her plum suede ankle boots with her printed cardigan and keeping her inner top and bottom neutrals.