Being a model seems like a very glamorous job, sure, but it’s not all beauty and glam all the time from beginning to end. There are a lot of things that you need to do before you can become a fashion model. Aside from having a fit and healthy body and a pleasing personality, you also have to have what your potential clients are looking for and these vary from one client to the other, mostly depending on what kind of fashion models the client carries. Going to go-sees is one of the best ways to get yourself out there and make an impression on future possible clients. Here are some useful tips on becoming a fashion model.
- Research and read up – if you’re looking for a long-term career in modeling, you have to make sure that the agencies and clients that you will be auditioning for are legit ones with a reputable business history. They don’t necessarily have to be the big agencies immediately. You can start from small ones and work your way from there as long as you work with one that has a good reputation. Look up modeling agencies in your area and the areas nearby and see their schedules for go-sees and casting calls.
- Study other models – taking a modeling course is not a prerequisite for most modeling agencies but knowing how to strut your stuff is. While we all know that a model has to have a graceful yet fierce style of walking, there are also other things you need to know like posture, projection and the like. Watch other models and learn from them. Attend fashion shows to see how it’s actually done.
- Have an amazing portfolio ready all the time – any time you go for casting calls or go-sees, you need to have your portfolio on hand. A portfolio, basically, is your résumé in pictures. You don’t need to have tons of professional photo shoots for pictures in your portfolio. If you have a friend who has a knack for photography and a good quality camera, ask your friend to take pictures of you. Make sure that your photos have a wide range of variety in them so that the client can see your full potential.
- Come as you are – getting booked with a client for a second meeting can be exciting. This means that the client has seen your potential and would like to see more of what you have to offer. Though it may seem right to come to the meeting with a full face and fancy clothes, don’t. Clients want to see the real you so come as you are. They don’t want your makeup or your clothes distracting them from judging your skills and your personality.
- Let your personality shine through – aside from your physique and your skills for modeling, another thing that most clients look for in a model is a dynamic personality so relax and let yours shine through. Speak your mind when you are asked to and be confident in your own skin. Don’t get timid and just sit there, be outgoing! A model who can brilliantly sell herself is always a step ahead of all the others.