Leggings have always been an item for warmth and comfort. It’s thicker than tights and ideal for fall and winter, when you want to show of your awesome boots while being warm. Now, you can use leggings during the warmer seasons and not only in solid colors. One thing that must be placed in mind, though, is that leggings should not and can not be an alternative for pants. Without the front zipper and back pockets security that jeans offer, one must feel even more exposed in skin-tight bottoms such as leggings.
And floral-printed leggings, while less revealing than ordinary monochromatic leggings, are not an exception. Another thing to consider with floral leggings is that it’s printed. And what if you want to mix prints?
Here, I give you a style guide on what to wear with floral leggings stylishly.
- Hesitant? Neutral tops are ideal for those playing safe – I’ll never tire of saying this: if you’re afraid to take a fashion risk with prints, floral ones included, held onto the comfort and security of neutral-toned tops. Nothing will ever go wrong with neutral tones and that’s why they are so ideal to pair up with prints. Floral prints are no exception.
- For tops with solid colors or only one color – This may come off as similar to neutral tones but the difference is that you have to take note if the colors of the top and the leggings match. Here’s what I do when I match a pair of floral leggings with basic colors: I take one color from the leggings (either the background, the color of the petals, etc.) and pick a one-color top that matches that. Usually if the flower print is large, I pick the color of the background. That way, the top will blend in with the leggings and the flowers will stand out.
- When wearing crop tops – Yes, you can wear crop tops with leggings. But you have to consider these things. First, find a floral print that’s noisy and bold. Something that’s overflowing with flowers is recommended. Second, you can wear a sheer shirt dress, unbuttoned, to cover your booty if you want to.
- On mix prints: harmonize or stand out- Keep in mind these two options that you have when you want to wear a top with a different print. You can find a floral print top that has a similar shades as the leggings you’ll wear. If your leggings is loud, find a top that isn’t. If your leggings is subtle, find a top with a noisier feel with it. It’s all about contrasting here and mutual shades. Otherwise, look for a top that has a neutral color as its base color (i.e, black top with small white polka dots or thin stripes, etc.) This way among the two prints, the leggings will stand out more.
- Wear a neutral-colored blazer over a top that only drops to the waist – The blazer with its more structured design gives sleekness and definition that is in contrast to the more festive floral prints.
- Boots for the colder days, sandals or flats for the warmer ones – While boots enhance and complements to the slim figure the leggings gives to your legs, sandals–especially those with heels–gives a more feminine touch to your outfit. You can either wear something bold or neutral.