I’m ready for fall. Last weekend it got so nice and cool here, and I found myself checking out all my fall sweaters and getting myself excited for the cool weather, and oh. my. gosh. it has been so HOT again! I ended up making this cheesy veggie soup for my fam last week when it was cool…maybe you can put it on your menu if you are so lucky to be somewhere where its not 80 degrees with 90% humidity!!!!
I am ok….ok….ok….
Cheese? Veggies? Can’t go wrong here! I love this soup because you can put any veggies you want in it. If I ever have vegetables in the fridge that are getting old and need to be used, I usually just toss them in whatever I’m making. And my poor husband…we’ll be eating something, like the other day I made his fried rice recipe and he looked at it so confused and said…”What’s this? Is there zucchini in here? You do NOT put zucchini in fried rice.” And I said, “I do.” Haha. Oh, he makes me laugh.
(This recipe will make enough for TWO families…I’m telling ya, it’s huge…but thats why I love it. You can:
1) Cut the recipe in half
2) Invite some friends over
3) What I love to do is make all of it and freeze half and next time you want it you won’t even have to cook! That means more time for you!)
1 large head of fresh broccoli, chopped
6 carrots, diced
4 stalks of celery, chopped
1 medium onion, chopped
and any other veggies you want, clean out the fridge 😉
3/4 cup milk (whatever fat% you desire)
3/4 cube butter or marg.
1/3 cup flour
10 cups chicken stock
1 tsp. chicken bouillon
1 16. oz velveeta cheese block, cut up into smaller cubes
Toppings of your choice
1) Steam your veggies until cooked but slightly crisp still.
2) Microwave the butter until melted. Add the flour, and whisk to make a roux.
3) In a large pan, heat stock, milk, and bouillon. Add a cup of warm stock mixture to the roux slowly, and whisk so its not lumpy. Add this back into the large pot of stock and bring to boil. Soup will thicken.
4) Add in the veggies and stir in the cheese until melted.
Serve it hot with some whole grain rolls and top with anything you want! Make it different every time. Cool a portion before freezing. Happy fall! <3
The fish look happy in there. 😉